Sugar Bolus

Click here for this week's Sugar Bolus!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Jumping Jack Chlorine Fingers

"Look, Mom, no Dex!"
Yes, our new Dexcom continuous glucose monitor is up and running, and I’m happy to report that it stayed nice and dry inside the house while Jack went swimming this morning.
Our old Dex remains comfy in his rice bed, but still refuses to work. I’m giving him more time. At this point, I have nothing to lose. I’m simply satisfying my curiosity.
Anyone want to place any bets on whether the rice will revive Dex? :)
The kids have been swimming every day, and every time I check Jack’s blood sugar level after pool time, I am reminded of something I learned way back when: chlorine can produce a false low.
I don’t know where I learned that. I know it wasn’t from our endo or CDE, and I’m wondering whether it’s accurate information. 
A little internet research revealed nothing. I couldn’t find a single article out there to corroborate the claim.
Anybody else ever hear that? Has your endo, nurse or CDE advised you to clean fingers really well after swimming in order to remove chlorine and eliminate false readings?
To play it safe, I make sure Jack doesn’t step out of the pool and test without first cleaning off the chlorine. It can't hurt. It's not a big deal. Besides, it’s good practice to clean hands really well, and we generally do that regardless of what Jack’s been doing. 
What do you think? True or false? Chlorine on the fingers can produce a false blood sugar reading indicating hypoglycemia.

15 comments:

Alexis Nicole said...

Yay for new dex! Mind if I ask if they covered it under warranty?

Hmm chlorine? I wonder is it the water just diluting the blood?

Hmmmmm curious :)

Sarah said...

we haven't had that trouble, yet...but now that I think about it Isaac's usually in freshwater or a pool that uses minerals not chlorine. Interesting, maybe that's why we had such trouble with his numbers at Great Wolf Lodge. I'll be interested to hear what others say.

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Lexi,
Our Dex was under warranty, but we still had to pay for a new receiver. It cost a little under $300. They told us that if we need to replace receiver #2, then it will cost approximately $500. So while Dexcom didn't cover the entire cost of the replacement, they didn't charge us full price either.

I can't complain. There was nothing wrong with our receiver. The fact that it got wet and no longer works was entirely our fault. I can't expect them to pay for our mistake.

:)

The DL said...

I would guess that chlorine wouldn't do anything. I would just be more worried about the water diluting as well

Amy said...

Awwww, that stinks about you having to pay for a replacement . . . I know you admit fault, but don't most pump companies send out replacement PDM's and pumps no matter what the damage?

And, I haven't heard about the chlorine issue. I would be VERY curious to know, though. I will probably just try an experiment with Ellie and have her test without washing and then with washing after getting out of the pool.

Tracy (The Crazy Pancreas) said...

My vote is Dex is dead. :(

I have noticed "off" readings with chlorine fingers. We always clean them off too. :)

Denise aka 'Mom of Bean' said...

Interesting....haven't heard about the chlorine/BG connection, but then again there aren't a whole lot of pools around here!! ;)
Glad the new dex is up, running, and staying dry!!

Wendy said...

A diluted drop would cause a false low...but I've never heard the chlorine theory.

I love that picture, btw. It's awesome ;)

Reyna said...

I have never had issues with the chlorine and low BGs. This is interesting information Heidi. I will keep a lookout for them this summer though. We just started our pool season up here in New England.

Kelly said...

I once blogged about Chlorine false CRAZY lows!!! Maybe ya heard it from me? Im SURE that finger was all dry when it was poked...it was shriveled and cold, but DRY! YIKES! Watch out for those!

Heidi / D-Tales said...

Kelly, I think I did hear it from you! I've been cautious ever since!

my sweet girl said...

That is interesting. We usually swim in a fresh water lake, but I have never had trouble when we have been in a pool. I will be more careful now though. Thanks

busymom said...

I don't know about the chlorine!! We have a salt water pool, so Umm..that's a tough one! : ) I'll be sure to clean her off either way-I hate to have a bad number, cause then I check twice anyway, and she hates it!
Love that big jump-FUN!!
Glad you got the new dex, I bet you are sleeping better! ; ) Yay!

Casey said...

Heidi, I can't believe I wasn't following you before! I completely thought I was! Glad to be following now!! :):)

I definitely don't know for sure, but my guess would be that chlorine on the fingers could certainly interfere with the readings.

Jacqueline said...

Love this picture of Jack!!